Monday, February 1, 2010

Dear John The Best Nicholas Sparks

  • Mass Market Paperback: 352 pages
  • Publisher: Grand Central Publishing; Mti edition (December 1, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0446567337
  • ISBN-13: 978-0446567336
  • Product Dimensions: 6.7 x 4.1 x 1 inches

Just as I was about to give up on Nicholas Sparks after reading a string of mediocre novels following his first three blockbuster hits, I decided to give him one more chance. I'm glad I did! This is by far the best book he's written--even better than "The Notebook" and the two that followed, "Message in a Bottle" and "A Walk to Remember." I started reading "Dear John" at 8 PM one evening and couldn't put it down until I finished in the wee hours of the morning. Written in the first person by the young male protagonist, John Tyree, he tells the heartwarming story of his romance with the girl of his dreams--Savannah Lynn Curtis, whom he meets by chance one day on the beach. Their background and personalities are strikingly different, but yet they form an unexplainable bond that grows into a powerful love. Savannah is almost too good to be true, and I kept thinking: "Gee, I wish my son (who is John's age) could meet a girl like that!" I won't go into any details to spoil the plot, which turns out to have many twists and turns--not only involving John's relationship with Savannah but also a heartwarming story concerning John's father, John's time in the service, and his thoughts and emotions in general. This is a beautiful story, and frankly when I finished it left me emotionally drained where I wasn't able to get back to sleep just thinking about it. Not only is "Dear John" an entertaining read, but it was very well written and fast paced with a stirring conclusion. Congratulations to Nicholas Sparks on another winner! (Carole Imes)

For Further Info:

No comments:

Post a Comment